Human Resources » Substitute Employment & Information

Substitute Employment & Information

Applicants interested in substitute employment with our District must complete an online application via EdJoin. Substitute Teacher and Classified Substitute applications are accepted for specific subjects/classifications subject to District needs.


Applications are screened and references are verified before the start of the hiring process. Applicants must provide official proof of required education, credentials, licenses or certificates. As a condition of employment, prospective substitute employees will be required to pass a background check from the Department of Justice, at their expense, and provide verification of a current negative tuberculosis test; eligibility for some substitute assignments may require additional testing, qualifications, or clearance.


Our District uses an automated system (Frontline) for our substitute employees to maintain their profile and manage their assignments, for contract employees to submit substitute requests, and for the Human Resources Department to oversee the search, decline, and accept process of substitute assignments.

Substitute employees must adhere to District rules, policies, and regulations.


Substitute employees are hired on as-needed basis; they are not guaranteed a frequency of assignments or continued employment. Our District will not maintain employment if the substitute employee is seldom or never available to accept assignments.


Minimum Requirements for an LNSD Certificated Substitute

  • Possession of a regular teaching credential or a Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit
  • Copy of your CBEST Test Card or proof of meeting CTC Basic Skills Requirement


If you meet the minimum requirements, as stated above you may apply by going on to   


If you do not meet the minimum requirements, as stated above, the following links may prove helpful to you:

Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit

 Minimum Requirements for a Substitute Permit:

    • A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
    • OFFICIAL transcripts from a regionally accredited college or university. 
    • Meet Basic Skills Requirement 


Applying for a 30-Day Substitute Permit

Apply directly to the Commission for the Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit in California, you will need to supply the following forms and items: Get application on line at: Form 41-4 Application for Credential

  •  Form 41-LS CCTC Request for Livescan Service $32.00 for background/fingerprint check
  • Application Fee: $100.00 for the Substitute Permit Payable by Cashier's Check or Money Order, only, made payable to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC)
Should you require more information, please contact Richard Gonzales in Human Resources, 562-692-0271 ext. 3248.